Sunday, January 1, 2012

January is learn to Ski and Snowboard Month!

Happy New Year everyone! Welcome to 2012 and the possible end of the world? I'm starting to think all the hype might be a little more valid as I look out my window at a snow-free and fairly warm January 1st. I can't remember the last time (if ever in my lifetime) there wasn't a single speck of the white stuff on the ground at this point in the season. Conditions at Wachusett yesterday were warm with the soft, wet snow I've grown to associate with spring riding. However, I remain optimistic that when it does come it will dump and we will have glorious heaps of powder like last year.
More please!

Although I am doubtful I will beat my past record of 87 days on snow, I still try to set goals for every season to improve my riding. In years past these have been things like improving my switch riding or learning how to do 360s. I find that giving myself something to strive for each season keeps me more engaged in my riding and on the days where conditions aren't stellar for cruising I can focus on trying to take little steps to get closer to my goal.

As an instructor it is a lot easier for me to acknowledge and be aware of my own weaknesses in my riding- I am trained to do movement analysis on my students so I can give feedback and help them improve. At the same time, I often struggle with knowing how to fix innate issues with my riding and it really helps to have an outsiders opinion. I love that I have easy access to my fellow instructors' assistance and try to take advantage of this to improve my personal riding as much as possible. It's amazing to me how much better my riding has become since I started teaching!

Click here for details
I encourage everyone to take a lesson or clinic this month and see what a difference it can make for you too. Throughout the month free or discounted lessons are available at many mountains in New England:

In NH “free week” is January 7 – 14. First timers receive a free lesson, rentals and beginner’s terrain lift ticket. You must register and print a coupon from Ski NH then reserve your spot at the mountain of your choice.

Maine ski areas will be offering free Learn to Ski or Ride packages for all of January as well. Register at Ski Maine.

Lastly,Vermont has $29 Learn to Ski or Ride packages including lesson, rentals, and lift ticket. Sign up at Ski Vermont.

Bring your friends as well and you could be eligible to win a a four day trip to Utah. During January, any current skiers or riders who sign up a friend for a beginner lesson could win a trip for two to Utah and the opportunity to ski/ride with a SKI magazine editor. Check out skiandsnowboardmonth.org for more details. Skis.com and Snowboard.net are also offering a gift card for up to $50 to anyone who takes a lesson from a professional instructor at any ski/snowboard area during January.

No comments:

Post a Comment